Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Side-Note For The "New Reading List" Post

Heya, guys!

I just wanted to make sure that I didn't hurt anyone's feelings with the last post.
When I said "I am glad and proud to be Canadian", I hope that I don't seem to be bashing Americans in general. I love all my American friends that I've met through Quantum Leap, and I know that most Americans are amazing people.

I guess if I were to specify, I'd have to say that I am glad to be a Canadian youth. According to the stats in there, which I can't quote for accuracy, there's a huge amount of peer-pressure when it comes to the teenage sex scene. I'm just glad I'm not subject to that, myself.

Ah, and I think I should clarify about Generation S.L.U.T - I haven't read it yet, but I have read a bit of it. It's a really experimental mix of fact (quotes from actual teenagers, statistics taken, etc) and fiction (the on-going story of fictional teens throughout the book). There's not set message from the author - according to the reviews I've read. But the book really presents a whole whack of issues which are truly a huge deal for a lot of teenagers.

So, I can't say that I really know what the book is truly like, but it is a powerful presentation of a world of youth we'd like to ignore. I recommend you prepare yourself before reading it - there are some graphic scenes in there.

But all in all, it's a powerful book you can take as a powerful message.

Hope I don't hurt any feelings or sound puffed-up. Sorry if I did, my greatest apologies and a huge hug.

Namaste,
Clarise

No comments:

Post a Comment