Monday, January 12, 2009

The Red Scarf!

Wohoo! Today was a very good day indeed.

I woke up fairly early this morning - a more and more rare thing for me nowadays - and I managed to get in the previous post before I made lunch and had to do a mad dash for the bus. Unfortunately, I missed the bus by about three minutes and had to wait another twenty before I could start on my trip to the U of A's Main Campus.

Once I got to Main, I had about 30 minutes to find my way to a Restricted Access table to get a red scarf (the symbol of the campaign) before I had to catch the bus to the Campus Saint-Jean (which is removed from the U's Main Campus). So I went to our main student building, which houses the bookstore, a few merchandise stores and a large cafeteria, offices, student services and a few bars/restaurants. There were a lot of tables, but no red scarves - so I did a quick circut and decided that I wouldn't get it that day.

On my way out of the building, I passed a guy wearing a red scarf like the one pictured on Restricted Access's blog. I realized too late that I could have asked him where he'd gotten the scarf. Then, as I was walking to the bus terminals, I passed yet another guy with the scarf, and I decided that I could ask him where to get it - but he was on the phone. Finally, as I was waiting in a building near the buses, I saw two girls with red scarves tied to their bags. I knew that they were Restricted Access scarves - the movement organizers encourage wearing the scarf or carrying it around at all times (just to raise exposure). So I asked them where to get it.

About twenty minutes later, after a mini-adventure within the upper floors of the student's building, I finally had my scarf - and five minutes to book it from one side of the campus to the other (okay, not that far). Good news: I made it on the bus! And I got my scarf!

So my participation in the campaign is pretty much decided. That's that. Though as usual with my stance on forming opinions, I have to do some reading and learning before I can consider myself a true participant. If you're part of a movement, it becomes a sort of duty to know more about the issue itself.

Keep Informed Of Both Sides Of The Story.
Namaste,
Clarise

No comments:

Post a Comment