Monday, January 12, 2009

The Restricted Access Movement

As might be apparent with my previous posts, I am a strong believer in education. As much as I might knock traditional education systems, I still believe that they are largely necessary - more for the implied lessons and the degree rather than the knowledge gained (except for certain programs). 

This next issue, which I shall be following until at least the morning of January 23rd, is an issue which has long been of concern to me. Seeing as this blog is also about my journey to financial success, the issue also fits in perfectly with being knowledgable about your finances - every aspect of your finances.

Restricted Access is a movement currently underway at my University (the U of Alberta). It's purpose is to unite students under the common goal of raising awareness about raising tuitions fees and their adverse affect on various aspects of society and student life.

The tag line of the movement is: "It's your education. Don't get priced out.".

Post-secondary education is no longer an option, it is now a mandatory expense. There are few jobs which will allow you to rise without a university degree - even if you never use it. Here in Alberta, we have the problem of the oilsands - high school grads are skipping University and are heading straight up north to work in horrid conditions to make mega bucks, which they consequently spend on booze, games, booze and, oh, did I mention booze? 

If you're a student at the U of A, be sure to pick up your red scarf (it's free) and make sure you're there for the demonstration January 23rd. I'm not too sure of the details at the moment, but once I have them, I'll be sure to keep it updated.

It's time for students to start looking at their finances and see whether or not they're paying more than they should be. It's time for students to take action and to grab hold of the end goal with their own hands. It's time for our education - let's not get priced out.







It's Your Education. Don't Get Priced Out.
Namaste,
Clarise

PS: There's a Facebook group for all interested. Search "Restricted Access".

No comments:

Post a Comment